Card Security Tips
Tips to Protect Your Bank Card:
- Sign it as soon as you receive it using a ballpoint pen.
- Don't give your card to anyone else, including your friends or family.
- Treat your card as if it were cash. Do not leave it unattended anywhere.
- Remember to retrieve your card whenever you use it to make a purchase or make a
transaction at an ATM.
- Destroy your expired card by cutting it into several pieces and disposing of the
To Protect Your PIN:
- Memorize your PIN and keep any record of your PIN separate from your card.
- Never tell anyone your PIN or other codes, including friends, family or merchants.
- Notify us immediately if your PIN mailer has not been received intact, or if any
change has taken place without being requested.
- Change your PIN routinely.
- If you select your own PIN, do not select a number that can be easily guessed (such
as part of the data imprinted on your card, a previously selected PIN, consecutive
numbers, one number repeated or numbers which form a pattern) or that can be easily
associated with you, such as your date of birth, telephone number, driver's license
- Never use an ATM or merchant point-of-sale system that does not look genuine, has
been modified, has a suspicious device attached to it or is operating in a suspicious
- Make sure no one watches you enter your PIN at an ATM or when making a purchase.
- For both your card and personal security, avoid using ATMs in poorly lit areas.
- Whenever possible, try working with businesses you know you can trust, especially
when you're giving out your details over the phone or on the Internet.
Report Fraud or Lost/Stolen
Read more about security on our blog.